tw1270

I accidentally contributed my 2021 Roth ira as roll over for 2020, is there any way to fix that

DanaB27

To clarify, you made a Roth contribution in 2021 but you made it for 2020 instead of 2021? And you had already contributed the maximum for 2020?

If this is the case, you can apply the contribution to 2021 during your 2021 tax return but you will have to pay the 6% penalty on your 2020 tax return if you had an excess contribution in 2020 because of this mix-up. Please see How do I amend my 2020 return? to report the IRA contribution for 2020 and see if TurboTax will calculate the 6% penalty.

On your 2021 tax return to apply to contribution to 2021:

1. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “IRA contributions”
  2. Click on “Jump to IRA contributions"
  3. Select “Roth IRA
  4. On the "Do you have any Excess Roth Contributions" answer "Yes"
  5. On the "Enter Excess Contributions" screen enter the total excess contribution from 2020.
  6. On the "How Much Excess to 2021?" screen enter how much you want to apply to 2021.