turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I a 1099-r for tax year 2021 for ira. but have not yet distributed monies to beneficiaries. how do issue k-1 forms to read 2022 in turbotax business ?

filing estate tax return for 2021 but yet to distribute to benificiaries. can i distribute in 202
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

I a 1099-r for tax year 2021 for ira. but have not yet distributed monies to beneficiaries. how do issue k-1 forms to read 2022 in turbotax business ?

You can't edit the forms to read 2022.  The forms for 2022 are not available and may change.  Since you will not distribute the money until 2022, you will need to wait until 2023 to issue the K-1's when it is time to file the 2022 returns. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does that mean i have to file another tax return for the estate in 2023 in order to issue k-1's or can i file k-1's independent of estate tax filing ? i have issued assets of estate and was going to close out probate.

dmertz
Level 15

Is this estate using a calendar tax year?  If so, this Form 1099-R must be reported on the 2021 Form 1099-R.  If this income was required to be distributed in 2021, even though it has not been distributed it's still treated as Tier 1 distributable net income and goes on the 2021 Schedules K-1.  If this income is not required to be distributed and was not distributed by the end of 2021, the tax liability is retained by the estate and does not pass through to estate beneficiaries.  Note, however, that the executor can elect to treat a distribution made in within the first 65 days of the estate's subsequent tax year as having been distributed on the last day of the previous tax year; we are now past that 65-day period for a 2021 calendar tax year.

If the estate has not previously filed  Form 1041, the estate has not yet established the tax year as being calendar or fiscal.  It may then be possible to use a fiscal tax year beginning in 2021 and ending in 2022 which would make any income passed through as being taxable on the beneficiaries' 2022 individual tax returns.  Items passed through are reportable on the individual's tax return for the year that contains the end date of the estate's tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies