thelastrealpalad

How/Where do I add in a distribution given to me for a terminated retirement trust?

CherylW

Enter it as closely as possible.  You may have to search the internet to find Payer's ID#, address, etc.  Turbo Tax will fill out Form 4852, Substitute for Form 1099-R.

You should have an option when you enter your 1099-R interview (see screenshot below):

Substitute Form 1099-R

If your plan administrator doesn't give you Form 1099-R for 2018 (or the one you receive is wrong and your plan administrator refuses to correct it), do your best to obtain the form or correction before completing a substitute on Form 4852.

You'll be required to:
 - describe your communications with the plan administrator in your attempt to get the form, and
 - attest to the IRS that you were unable to obtain it.

Complete a Form 1099-R as if you actually received the correct form. Enter as much information about the payer as you can, including name, address, and the amounts for 2018. Then complete the information for the substitute form.

CherylW

did you receive any paperwork, like a 1099-R?
thelastrealpalad

None what-so-ever.  Just a check that also listed the amount that was withheld for federal taxes and the distribution code of "1"
CherylW

Substitute Form 1099-R

You'll be required to:

thelastrealpalad

So much for doing this quickly.  Thanks.
CherylW

For a terminated retirement trust:

You will enter it in the same area you would a normal Form 1099-R.  However, your form might have line numbers instead of box numbers.  Read it carefully when entering the information to make sure they numbers are placed correctly.

To get to that area in TurboTax: 

While inside the software and working on your return, type 1099-r in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to 1099-r.  Select that to get to the general area.   Then, select that you will type it in yourself.

thelastrealpalad

Unfortunately when I tried to enter it there it started asking questions that I couldn't answer and wouldn't proceed without them.  Like Payer ID #