turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how to pay penalty on excessive roth ira contribution

Hi,

I contributed $750 over the $6000 limit. I was able to withdraw the excess amount through the financial institution. My understanding is the earnings generated by the excessive amount will be treated as an income. How can we report that income on turbo tax? (The financial institution 1099 for 2019 won't reflect the withdrawal since it was made in 2020.

Second question is about the early withdrawal penalty (how much?) if there is such thing (for people younger than 59) and how can we pay that to IRS?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Because you made the withdrawal before the due date for your 2019 tax return, you do not have to report anything this year and there is no early withdrawal penalty since it is considered a return of contribution.  Next year you will receive the 1099-R which will show the contributions plus earnings in box 1, and only the earnings in box 2a.  and box 7, with code "8"and  "J" which you will include on your 2020 tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. So don't wait for Roth IRA form for this year? and file as I would normally would for this year (it comes around May 15th) 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

That is correct, you do not have to do anything for 2019, just be sure to remember to get the form for the 2020 taxes.

@mujtabakhan89

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies