boxsteron

How to handle IRA converstion to Roth IRA in Turbotax 2019

Our accountant told us that we can pull $14K out of our savings and put it into a Roth IRA for 2019 and 2020, $7K each.  She said that our income is too high for a Roth IRA but you can open an IRA and then covert it to a Roth IRA (there is a legal loop hole she said).   We created the IRA first and it was converted to a Roth IRA by fidelity. 

I tried doing the filing with TurboTax but it penalizes me 6% if I just follow the normal path.  I read on the questions that to do that, we have to manually create a 1099-R.  I have tried to fill out that form but there is too much information there to fill out since I did not get a 1099-R from fidelity.  Is this the right way to do this?  or can you advise me on what to do so I don't have to pay the 6% penalty?  

Thanks,

macuser_22

When did you convert it?    If in 2020 then you will get the 1099-R next year in 2021 and it goes on your 2020 tax return next year.    The only thing that gets entered in 2019 is the 2019 non-deductible contribution that will create a 2019 8606 form with thee contribution on line 1, 3 & 14 that you will need  for the 2020 tax return next year.

Hopefully you have sufficient 2019  taxable compensation (money that you worked for such as W-2 or self-employed) to support the IRA contribution.

Also you said "we".   IRA's are individual and can be owned by only one spouse.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

boxsteron

Thanks for your quick response.  See below for answers and follow up questions:

Yes both the IRA and the Roth IRA conversions were done in April of 2020. 

Fidelity has issued two 5498 forms for both IRA's but no 1099-R's.

This is just for my taxes and it is individual.  sorry the question was confusing.

Are you saying that I need to add an 8606 form to the return?  Is there an interview question or point I need to start from? 

Some other posts on this site has recommended doing this using a 1099-R.  Are you saying it is not needed for 2019 return, even though I am claiming the IRA for 2019?  Please advise

Thanks again

boxsteron

macuser_22

@boxsteron wrote:

Yes.   You must file the 2019 8606 by entering the 2019 contribution as I said above.

And yes, the conversion must be reported on a 1099-R on your 2020 tax return next year since is was converted in 2020.    You will get the 1099-R after Jan 31 2021.