turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get back extra early 10% withdrawal from IRA due to permanent disability

I paid Federal and State taxes con a compete distribution of my IRA due to permanent disability. How do I get the extra 10 % penalty back or where do I put this on my taxes in turbo tax?
Thank you,
Ron S.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

There will be a screen that says "Lets see if we can reduce your penalty? "  Permanent disability is on the list if you qualify.

"Disabled.   If you become disabled before you reach age 59½, any distributions from your traditional IRA because of your disability are not subject to the 10% additional tax.

You are considered disabled if you can furnish proof that you cannot do any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition. A physician must determine that your condition can be expected to result in death or to be of long, continued, and indefinite duration."

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

There will be a screen that says "Lets see if we can reduce your penalty? "  Permanent disability is on the list if you qualify.

"Disabled.   If you become disabled before you reach age 59½, any distributions from your traditional IRA because of your disability are not subject to the 10% additional tax.

You are considered disabled if you can furnish proof that you cannot do any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition. A physician must determine that your condition can be expected to result in death or to be of long, continued, and indefinite duration."

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
rykerjack

What amount would you enter, 10% of the amount withdrawn?

You enter the amount of the distribution.
Bbinder2002
Returning Member

I understand your post but how do you actually provide information from a doctor? Do you have to have your doctor right a letter and then attach it to your tax return? Is there a format for the letter? I assume the doctor is going to ask how they need to write the letter.

@Bbinder2002 wrote:

I understand your post but how do you actually provide information from a doctor? Do you have to have your doctor right a letter and then attach it to your tax return? Is there a format for the letter? I assume the doctor is going to ask how they need to write the letter.

See IRS Pub 524, page 8 for a sample physicians statement that you should have for your records but only submit to the IRS if they ask for it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p524.pdfhttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p524.pdf

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies