Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is a brazilian "VGBL" retirement account lump sum distribution to a 47 year old brazilian expat living in the USA with greencard entered into turbotax?

My wife has been living with me for the past few years in the USA. she has a green card. her tax status in brazil is non-resident. she paid 15% tax on the gains from the pension retirement account called a VGBL. from her initial investment of 100%, she withdrew everything and came out 2.25x more money than what she put in. Does she owe taxes on the 125% of capital gains? how much taxes? I believe I know i can get a foreign tax credit for the 15% that was withheld from her lump-sum distribution in brazil.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is a brazilian "VGBL" retirement account lump sum distribution to a 47 year old brazilian expat living in the USA with greencard entered into turbotax?

bump?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

The easiest way to report this income is to convert it to USD and then enter it as miscellaneous income.  

1. Enter miscellaneous income in the Search box at the top of the page and click the Jump to button.  Click no that you did not get a 1099-MISC
  2. Scroll down to Less Common Income, and the last item , Miscellaneous Income and click on start
  3. Scroll down to Other Reportable Income and click Start
  4. Enter your retirement income and description
  5. If you paid Brazilian tax on this income, enter it in the foreign tax credit section of TurboTax
  6. Enter foreign tax credit in the search box and click on the Jump to link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies