turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix my 8606 vs my 1099-R? All IRA contributions made are non-deductible and converted to Roth. Why is 1099-R being taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

How do I fix my 8606 vs my 1099-R? All IRA contributions made are non-deductible and converted to Roth. Why is 1099-R being taxed?

It sounds like you may not have entered the basis of your IRA in TurboTax.

Here is how to do that:

1. Search for IRA contributions using the search box located in the upper right corner.
  2. Click on Jump to IRA contributions.
  3. Check the box showing that you contributed to a Traditional IRA. 
  4. The next screen asks you to verify that you contributed to a Traditional IRA, choose Yes.
  5. The next screen asks if the contribution was a repayment of a retirement distribution, choose No.
  6. Next, enter the amount that was contributed to the Traditional IRA.
  7. The next screen is asking if you “recharacterized” the contribution.  This is different from a conversion, so the answer is No.
  8. On the next screen, there will be a question about whether you are covered by a retirement plan at work.  Answer according to your situation. 
  9. Following that, there will be a question about Excess IRA Contributions.  Answer this according to your situation.
  10. The next question will be, were there any nondeductible contributions to the IRA, answer Yes.
  11. The next page asks for the basis of the Traditional IRA.  If you have never made nondeductible contributions in the past and kept them in the IRA, your basis is zero.  Otherwise, enter the amount shown as total basis on your most recently filed Form 8606.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies