turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcw2

How do I file my return without 1099Rs for my pension and 401K withdrawals?

I know exactly how much was paid to me and how much tax was withheld, but I don't want to wait a couple weeks for the 1099Rs.  I want to enter the income and tax withheld into TurboTax without the 1099Rs.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You're inviting an audit if you make any mistakes.  That's your own risk, have fun with that.

For 2015, you are already past the deadline, and too late to e-file using turbotax. turbotax online closes Tuesday and you will have to get a copy of turbotax to install on your computer and print your returns and mail them in.  If you can't download your statements from your broker account online, waiting for mailed copies won't be that much longer anyway.

If you are talking about your 2016 tax returns, e-filing won't be open until January 20.  Since the 1099-R is supposed to be mailed by January 31, you'd only have to wait 11 days if you retrieve them electronically, or 2 weeks if you wait for the mail. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I don't think anyone would recommend that.   In addition to the distribution amount and withholding, there are other boxes on the 1099-R that have to be entered correctly.

What tax year return are you preparing?  A 2015 return?  Online TurboTax for 2015 will shutdown after November 15, and unfinished returns will need to be moved to the desktop version (CD/download).  Are you using Online TurboTax or the desktop (CD/download) version?

You wrote:  "I don't want to wait a couple weeks for the 1099Rs"
Are you referring to 2015 1099R's that you lost or didn't receive, and have to get duplicates?

Would a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS have all the necessary info?

You're inviting an audit if you make any mistakes.  That's your own risk, have fun with that.

For 2015, you are already past the deadline, and too late to e-file using turbotax. turbotax online closes Tuesday and you will have to get a copy of turbotax to install on your computer and print your returns and mail them in.  If you can't download your statements from your broker account online, waiting for mailed copies won't be that much longer anyway.

If you are talking about your 2016 tax returns, e-filing won't be open until January 20.  Since the 1099-R is supposed to be mailed by January 31, you'd only have to wait 11 days if you retrieve them electronically, or 2 weeks if you wait for the mail. 

@Opus 17
What is the source of the Jan 20, 2017 date?

I've seen that date posted on the internet, but never from an official IRS source.  Last year, the date wasn't announced by the IRS until mid December.

True, but I think its a fair estimate.  A few days either way would not change my recommendation here.
dcw2

I know exactly how much I received and how much tax was deducted so there no audit danger.. The IRS owes me money so the deadline doesn't mean anything. I always file my mail instead of e-file, because that likely reduces the chances of an audit. So all I'm asking for help with is how to enter the data in TurboTax
dcw2

I'm surprised this answer was labeled recommended. It doesn't answer my question at all.

Please see all the info that was left you in your duplicate thread here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3398671-file-without-1099rs">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/339...>

"I always file my mail instead of e-file, because that likely reduces the chances of an audit"  What makes you think that?Also, when you mail your return, you are required to include a copy of the 1099-R that shows the withholding.

The answer of *how to do it* is to enter a bunch of imaginary 1099-R forms based on your own knowledge of your withdrawals and by copying the basic information (EIN, address, etc) from last year.  But it's not recommended.

If you mail a return that has 1099 or W-2 tax withholding and you did not physically attach a copy of the 1099-R (or other 1099) and W-2's to the mailed tax return, the IRS will  simply return the unprocessed return to you along with a notice that the required attachments are missing and to attach them and re-mail the return.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies