turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dtmac74

How do i change turbo tax's answer from box 1 to box 2a on my form 1099-r?

no boxes are checked. box 5 has the $ difference & this is from an insurance policy

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

If I'm understanding you correctly, you received a distribution from an insurance policy.  The gross amount is appearing in box 1, box 2a is blank, and box 5 has a figure less than the figure in box 1.

Since the box 5 figure reflects the amount of insurance premiums you're allowed to recover tax free in 2016, that figure will be subtracted from box 1.  The difference will be the taxable amount on your tax return, and it'll appear in box 16b of your Form 1040 (12b of 1040A).

I don't see that you'll need to change anything.  If a box is blank on the 1099-R, leave it blank when you enter it in TurboTax.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

If I'm understanding you correctly, you received a distribution from an insurance policy.  The gross amount is appearing in box 1, box 2a is blank, and box 5 has a figure less than the figure in box 1.

Since the box 5 figure reflects the amount of insurance premiums you're allowed to recover tax free in 2016, that figure will be subtracted from box 1.  The difference will be the taxable amount on your tax return, and it'll appear in box 16b of your Form 1040 (12b of 1040A).

I don't see that you'll need to change anything.  If a box is blank on the 1099-R, leave it blank when you enter it in TurboTax.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies