Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my 2017 return in TurboTax for a Roth IRA excess contribution? I have already filed my 2017 taxes. I will be getting a refund in 2018 for the excess.

I mistakenly contributed $458 to a Roth IRA that did not qualify in 2017.  I am being refunded in 2018 for that amount plus a small amount of earnings ($18).  Since I have already filed my 2017 taxes, how can I amend my 2017 return in Turbo Tax to reflect that amount?  How will I report the refund on my 2018 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

How do I amend my 2017 return in TurboTax for a Roth IRA excess contribution? I have already filed my 2017 taxes. I will be getting a refund in 2018 for the excess.

Wait until your 2017 return is processed before amending, and be sure to save a copy of your original filed return.

In 2018, you will receive a 1099-R with a code in Box 7 indicating a return of excess contribution, plus earnings.

You could wait for this before amending your 2017 return. 

You don't carry the excess forward into your 2018 return. 

Edited 3/10/18  1:37 PM 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

There is no reason to amend now rather then wait for the 2018 1099-R to arrive, then amend.  Nothing is to be gained by amending now and if anything else is discovered that requires changing that would require amending the amended return.

The 1099-R should have a code JP in box 7, the returned excess amount in box 1 and the $18 earnings in box 2a which will be taxable income on line 15b on the 1040 form and also subject to a 10% ($1.80) early distribution penalty if you are under age 59 1/2 .   This goes on your amended 2017 tax return.  In the interview you select that it is a 2018 1099-R, not 2017.

And the 1099-R will be a 2018 1099-R received next January in 2019 (not 2018).  Nothing goes on your 2018 tax return.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

I agree with macuser_22.  Since you have already filed your 2017 tax return, I would wait until you receive the code JP 2018 Form 1099-R to amend your 2017 tax return and pay the tax on the $18 of earnings.  The IRS won't bill for any interest on the taxes resulting on the $18 of income; the interest will likely be less then 15 cents.

(The answer of mine referenced above applies to a different situation where the return of contribution had already been reported.  It's not relevant here.)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies