deanmarco23

Hi, my NJ tax return is being withheld until 2020. However, I clicked that I did notwant it to roll over?.. Not sure if it's because some NJ docs are missing.

BillM223

"Hi, my NJ tax return is being withheld until 2020."

Do you mean "your NJ tax refund"?

KathrynG3

If your NJ tax refund has not been received, and you received a notice, more direction would be provided in the letter for your next steps.  But, the best option is to contact New Jersey directly to receive a better explanation.

There are several reasons that NJ may withhold your refund. Please double check your NJ tax return that you filed to confirm that the overpayment wasn't applied to next year's estimates on line 64.

If there is any balance due to the state including garnishments, any refund would be allocated to cover this requirement.

If your refund is delayed simply because you filed late, the refund received in 2020 will apply to your 2020 tax return which would be completed next year in 2021. 

@deanmarco23