turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomd64
Returning Member

Hi, if my ira contributions are all after tax dollars do i need to pay tax if i withdraw it in 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Hi, if my ira contributions are all after tax dollars do i need to pay tax if i withdraw it in 2020

After tax contributions are not taxed when withdrawn but you must file Form 8606 to demonstrate that the contributions were non-deductible. 

If this is a traditional IRA then you cannot JUST take out the contributions ... the form 8606 will prorate the contributions and earnings to compute the taxable portion of the distribution.

tomd64
Returning Member

Yes itnis a traditional ira started in 2019....i contributed $14000 in after tax dollars ..but i only have $13,000 in there to remove

Then the form 8606 will show that none of it is taxable since you lost ground.  

We need to get @dmertz here to clarify some things.

If this is a Traditional IRA with 100% non-deductible contributions, (and not specifically a Roth IRA), then you will owe no income tax on the withdrawal since you have no gains, but I believe you will still owe a 10% penalty for early withdrawal if you are under age 59-1/2.  This is one of the ways that after-tax contributions to a traditional IRA is different from a Roth IRA.

You may be able to do this in two steps; first convert the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, and then second withdraw the money from the Roth IRA.  The conversion will be tax-free if the contributions are all after-tax and you have no gains, and you can then withdraw your contributions from a Roth IRA at any time without tax or penalty.  (You pay tax and a penalty if you withdraw gains from a Roth IRA if you are under age 59-1/2.)

Also, if the reason you are withdrawing the money from the traditional IRA is a COVID-related hardship, you would be exempt from the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the traditional IRA and could probably skip the Roth conversion step. 

dmertz
Level 15

The 10% early-distribution penalty only applies to taxable retirement distributions.  The nontaxable portion of a distribution from a retirement account is not subject to this penalty.  For 2020, this penalty also does not apply to any distribution that is a qualified Coronavirus-Related Distribution.

Opus 17's workaround does not work to avoid an early-distribution penalty if a portion of the Roth conversion is taxable.  The distribution of portion of the Roth conversion that was taxable upon conversion would be subject to a recapture of the 10% early-distribution penalty unless 5 years had passed from the beginning of the year in which the Roth conversion occurred.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies