turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi! I've input my self-employment income for 2020, but when I add my Roth contribution, it's stating my income as $0. Could this be a bug in the software?

For added detail: It states the correct number under Income & Expenses, but when I get to Deductions and Credits, my Roth contribution can't be added because it's stating my income as $0. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Hi! I've input my self-employment income for 2020, but when I add my Roth contribution, it's stating my income as $0. Could this be a bug in the software?

Yes, income minus expenses. Yes, if you expenses exceeded you income, then your loss will disqualify you from the IRA contribution unless you have other taxable compensation.

If you made the contributions already, then you will have to request with your bank to remove the excess contributions plus earnings by the due date (including extensions) to avoid the 6% penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

To clarify, were your net earnings (income minus expenses) from your self-employment $0 or less by any chance? You need taxable compensation to be able to contribute to an IRA.

Please see What Is Compensation- Self-employment income for more details.

[Edited 5/16/2021 | 3:54PM PST]

Hey Dana- I appreciate the help! Do you mean 'income minus expenses?' My expenses may have exceeded income, so perhaps that explains it. My earnings definitely met the criteria, so I was confused why it was showing up as $0.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, income minus expenses. Yes, if you expenses exceeded you income, then your loss will disqualify you from the IRA contribution unless you have other taxable compensation.

If you made the contributions already, then you will have to request with your bank to remove the excess contributions plus earnings by the due date (including extensions) to avoid the 6% penalty.

It did! Thank you so much for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies