turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1605bc

I have never used Turbo Tax. How are W2 forms and 1099r submitted with my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have never used Turbo Tax. How are W2 forms and 1099r submitted with my return?

Do you mean, how are they sent to the IRS?

If you efile they are not mailed in.

Your W2 and 1099R's are simply typed in. The information on these is also reported the IRS by the company who issued them to you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

They're not. You just use the program the way it's intended and designed to be used, enter all your data and e-file the return to the IRS.
As a first time user of the program, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you use the CD/Desktop version that you physically install on your computer. It's much easier to navigate and much easier to fix problems and mistakes with. As a first time user of the program, you will have lots of mistakes to go back and correct. If you do this with the online version, then depending on the complexity of your return, you WILL NOT be a happy camper.
Carl
Level 15

Hey wait! Are you self-employed and need to "ISSUE" W-2's and 1099-MISC forms?

You enter your W2 and 1099R into Turbo Tax.  Do you need help finding where to enter them?  Then if you efile you do not need to attach them or mail them to the IRS.  Nothing to mail when you efile.  If you print and mail your return you do have to attach them to your return when you mail it.

Personally, I recommend Online for first time users, especially those with a simple return. Lots of folks only have phones nowadays, not desktop computers.
Carl
Level 15

For a simple return (like 1040-EZ) sure. But if you've got a complex return like mine (rental properties, self-employed, investments, W-2 income, etc) even if you've filed your own taxes in past years, using the online version of TTX for the first time can be daunting. Especially since there's no forms mode available like desktop has.

Do you mean, how are they sent to the IRS?

If you efile they are not mailed in.

Your W2 and 1099R's are simply typed in. The information on these is also reported the IRS by the company who issued them to you.

But keep the paper copies in a safe place.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies