turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

codybruns

Hello, I was wondering if I can contribute to a 401k, a ROTH IRA and a SEP IRA in the same year?

Hello, I was wondering if I can contribute to a 401k, a ROTH IRA and a SEP IRA in the same tax year? This is my situation: I currently contribute to my 401k, I have maxed my ROTH IRA for this year, and I am hoping to be able to open up a SEP IRA due to being hired as a 1099 freelancer/ contractor this year. I am thinking that I should be able to also contribute up to 25% of the income made from the self employment 1099 income, but I have not been able to find an answer on this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hello, I was wondering if I can contribute to a 401k, a ROTH IRA and a SEP IRA in the same year?

The 401K plus any IRA's is a non issue ....

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2329911-can-i-contribute-to-both-a-sep-and-a-roth-ira-in-the-same-...>
dmertz
Level 15

As long as your 401(k) plan is with an employer other than your self-employment business, your contributions to the 401(k) plan do not affect your ability to contribute to a SEP IRA with your self employment income.  However, your maximum SEP contribution is not 25% of self-employment income.  A self-employed individual must do a special calculation.  The maximum SEP contribution is 20% of your net earnings from self-employment.  Your net earnings from self-employment are your net profit from self-employment minus the deductible portion of the self-employment taxes.

To make your Roth IRA contribution you must have sufficient earnings left over, either from the employer with the 401(k) plan or from self-employment earnings, after making the 401(k) elective deferrals and the SEP contribution.  You must also be under the modified AGI limit for being eligible to make the Roth IRA contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies