Hello, I am inheriting money from Spain from my brother who passed away. This money was from a pension plan. Is this money taxable in the US?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, I am inheriting money from Spain from my brother who passed away. This money was from a pension plan. Is this money taxable in the US?

1 Reply

No, an inheritance from your brother is not taxable. The U.S. does not have a a federal tax on inheritances. 

Since this is a foreign inheritance, there may be additional filing requirements required to report this foreign inheritance to that IRS. Only foreign inheritance or gifts over a certain amount threshold would require a Form 8938 - Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets and/or a Form 3520 - gift or inheritance from a foreign person (nonresident alien) or from a foreign estate and the total amount during the year exceeds $100,000.

If your U.S. state of residence has an inheritance tax, it is possible there may be a state tax obligation. That would depend on your state's tax law (if any). See: Does Your State Have an Estate or Inheritance Tax? 

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings