turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has anyone else had their refund amount not include additional funds from having unemployment not being taxed? If so, how do I acquire those additional funds?

I filed my  return the day before they were being accepted. It was accepted the next day. It took 3 months for me to receive my refund but it was the initial amount TurboTax estimated my refund to be. I filed before the law passed to make the first $10,000  of unemployment tax exempt. I was told numerous times that I did not need to amend my tax return or refile for them to count those exempt funds. However, upon receiving my refund it was not increased at all.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Has anyone else had their refund amount not include additional funds from having unemployment not being taxed? If so, how do I acquire those additional funds?

It will be sent as a separate payment.    The IRS is sending payments in batches throughout the summer over several months.

If you already filed - do not amend. See this:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayers-may-receive-a-refund-for-taxes-paid-on-2020-unemployment-comp...

and:  https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you for this reply! I read through a bit of those and understand now. However I have no received a letter or anything from the IRS yet and I got my refund in mid May. Should I contact them? Or just sit tight? I appreciate your help!

Sit tight ... you cannot even get thru to the IRS if you try as they are only answering about 2% of the calls right now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies