turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2016 I had two Form 1116's, one for passive income and one for General Limitation income. How do I enter the carryover data from those forms into TurboTax?

Form 1116 has several parts relating to Foreign Tax Credits. The part I'm asking about is for the carryover from prior years. Last year I reported both "General Limitation" income and Passive income. This year the General Limitation income (salary) is exempted so I only need to claim the credit for passive income.

My main objective here is to get the carryover data into TurboTax since this is my first year using TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2016 I had two Form 1116's, one for passive income and one for General Limitation income. How do I enter the carryover data from those forms into TurboTax?

Go to Forms Mode. If Form 1116 is listed in the left pane, click on it and it will appear in the right pane. If Form 1116 is not in the left pane, click on the "open form button" at the top and follow the instructions to create it. Once it is in the right pane, scroll down near the bottom to the foreign tax carryover section. All cells in yellow are for user input. If anything is not clear, right click on any cell and a box will appear. Click on the bottom entry and another box will appear with an explanation for the cells.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Go to Forms Mode. If Form 1116 is listed in the left pane, click on it and it will appear in the right pane. If Form 1116 is not in the left pane, click on the "open form button" at the top and follow the instructions to create it. Once it is in the right pane, scroll down near the bottom to the foreign tax carryover section. All cells in yellow are for user input. If anything is not clear, right click on any cell and a box will appear. Click on the bottom entry and another box will appear with an explanation for the cells.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies