Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kerksick

I have non-cash contributions of $935, but Turbo Tax did not provide a form 8283 when I e-filed. How can I get one generated?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have non-cash contributions of $935, but Turbo Tax did not provide a form 8283 when I e-filed. How can I get one generated?

GO TO 'FORMS' AND ENTER FORM 8283 AND ENTER YOUR INFO ON IT. iF YOU DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH deductions to break the $24,000 std deduction for 2018, that could be why the form was not generated.
jsbrara

That does not work. It does not come up with Form 8283 under Forms, and it does not let you add or create it. HELP!

As kruse-fam already mentioned, if your standard deduction was greater than your itemized deductions, the form will not be generated because charitable contributions are part of your itemized deductions and in your case, it seems like you were better off with the standsard deduction. As such ,no form 8283 will be generated.  I put in the all the figures on my end and it worked out for me.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jsbrara

My deductions are large and so I itemize deductions rather than standard deduction. Thye form 8283 should generate in Turbotax automatically but it doesn't, nor am I able to get the form in TurboTax to fill in myself. For my 2021 taxes I got an audit letter saying that the charitable non-cash deductions - appreciated stock in my case - would not be allowed since I had not filed Form 8283, so I sent the hard copy I had received to IRS and am still waiting to hear back. I don't want that to happen again so I need to make sure Form 8283 is generated or I'll input it manually if TurboTax lets me do it!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You need to complete the charitable contributions interview section in TurboTax first, then complete the Charitable Organization Worksheet in order to populate Form 8283. Also, you need to complete the proper section in the Charitable Organization Worksheet relative to what option you chose on the Choose a category for this donation screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies