turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pow01

When i add my gambling winning and loses it equals zero but my refund went down from 950 to 375. it should still be 950 because i lost the same amount i won

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When i add my gambling winning and loses it equals zero but my refund went down from 950 to 375. it should still be 950 because i lost the same amount i won

Gambling losses are not a one-to-one reduction of the taxable winnings.  Losses are entered on Form 1040 Schedule A as a Miscellaneous itemized deduction.  Your total itemized deductions must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2016 

• Single - $6,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $6,300 add $1,250 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $12,600 add $1,250 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $9,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Gambling losses are not a one-to-one reduction of the taxable winnings.  Losses are entered on Form 1040 Schedule A as a Miscellaneous itemized deduction.  Your total itemized deductions must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2016 

• Single - $6,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $6,300 add $1,250 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $12,600 add $1,250 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $9,300 add $1,550 if age 65 or older

Correct answers are painful...

Now he's posted again, with more information.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3411317-my-itemized-deduction-is-more-than-my-standard-but-when-i-...>

I just saw that...I am turning in, been here way to many hours today.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies