turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8615 I removed my parent & their social security number but TurboTax app & website will not let me remove the filing status

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Form 8615 I removed my parent & their social security number but TurboTax app & website will not let me remove the filing status

Go through the "Personal Info" interview section of TurboTax first to ensure you have answered all of the questions correctly.  

• Select "Edit" to the right of your name and confirm the answer on "Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return"
  • Confirm your filing status is entered correctly

If the above items are answered correctly, confirm the following to ensure you are not subject to the filing requirements of Form 8615:

Form 8615 must be filed if:

• You had unearned income over $2,200
  • You are required to file a tax return
  • You are either:
    •  Under the age of 18 at the end of 2019
    • 18 at the end of 2019 without earned income that was over half of your support, or
    • A full time student at least 19 and under 24 at the end of 2019 and didn’t' have earned income which was more than half of your support.
  • At least one of your parents was alive at the end of 2019
  • You do not file a joint return for 2019.

Once you confirm you do not fall under the requirements above and you have checked all of your entries.  please review your filing status.  If it still shows the filing status to use Form 8615, you can delete the form as follows:

1. On the left black panel, select "Tax Tools"
  2. Select "Tools"
  3. Another screen will pull up - select "Delete a Form"
  4. You can then search for Form 8615 and select "Delete"

Please be aware that if you are subject to the Unearned income tax, Form 8615 will generate regardless of whether you delete this form manually.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
julpatmoo
Returning Member

This question is directed to the expert providing the previous reply (Jokita).  My dependent daughter does need to file a Form 8615 for unearned income; however, the SSN associated with the form is mine (her mom) instead of her dad who is the primary on our joint return (and also the person earning income in 2019).  How do we change the parent's SSN so form 8615 accesses her father's data instead of mine.  It is causing an incorrect calculation, we believe, and return keeps getting rejected for an error on line 7 of From 8615.

MV_99

Is Form 8615 required if I am full time student under 24 but parents' provided less than half of support, because I was able to cover more than half of my support with proceeds as a beneficiary of a 529 owned by my grandparents and my earnings?  I am not declared as a dependent by anyone.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Since you are not anyone's dependent, you would not be consider a child as far as form 8615 is concerned (Tax for Certain Children Who Have Unearned Income.) You would file your own tax return if you had income to report, and it would not be affected by your parent's tax filing in any way.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies