Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

melone81

Form 8606-S. How do I get an update so I can file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Per TurboTax Updates, the Form 8606 will not be available until 2/12/2020. It is important to file this form.  Without this form, IRS would not know what your total nondeductible amount of the IRA contribution is so to verify your nontaxable portion of the distribution or rollover.  To return to check on the update, click here: Tax forms available

To see why the form is not yet available in TurboTax, please continue to read: 

The fact that the forms are available on the IRS website has nothing to do with any tax software program.  The forms are available if you are going to download from the IRS to complete it on your own.  However, e-filing is different.  Once the form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  I hope this helps you understand the situation.  At this point, the IRS expects to approve the form 8606 on TurboTax e-file as  02/12/2020. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't doubt that this answer is correct, but this is not acceptable to those of us who are prepared and need to file our returns only to be told that the form will be available Feb. 5, NO wait JK Feb. 12.  This is a flaw and huge problem with the product for me, although I'm sure I'm in the minority and Intuit could not give a hoot less.  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, from time to time Federal and State FORMs have to be revised and approved.  This is a dynamic process and we aggressively pursue it.  At this point the target date for 8606 is 02/12/2020.

Included are LINKs both for the Federal and State FORM status

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Select your situation below to locate your 2019 form or schedule.

From <Federal FORM availability>

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Select your situation to locate your 2019 form.

From <State FORM Availability>

Mason0715

I absolutely agree with dleishman. I have been using Turbo for over 10 years and this is a first.

Form 8606 isn't even on any of these lists for IOS, Windows, etc.  Also, it's Feb. 12, and the software still says "available soon".  Is there a new date?

It is now 2/12/2020 and now, Turbo Tax, instead of saying the form will be ready on 2/12/20,  I am getting a message saying, "Ready Soon".  What does that mean?  Now, there is no expectation of when I can finally finish my taxes.  Is "soon", 1 day, 2 days, 3 weeks, a month?  This is ridiculous and no way to bring a product to market.  Does anyone now know when this form will be available?????

It is 2/12/2020, the form is still not available!  I'm trying to feed my family with this refund and yet it isn't available....what is going on here?!?!?  This is an emergency here.

It's 2/12/2020 and still no 8606-S form!  It isn't even on your list of forms....what is going on here???  I need this refund to help feed my family....when will it be ready?  I can't file me taxes like I always do online due to this!!!!!! Call someone or something.

It's not just about the refund, though we all want that asap.  We are advised to file early to avoid fraud (someone else filing with your Social Security #), yet this happens, so we can't do that in spite of everything else being in order by January 31.  Not the first time for me, either.  Same thing happened last year with a different form.  And I did not get an email from Turbo Tax when the form was ready, as requested.  I had to just keep checking.

Dude, form 8606 isn't even on this list

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The date when the form would be available for e-file from the IRS has been pushed back. (see: List of available IRS e-file forms.

We will provide an update as soon as we are able to do so, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

This is extraordinarily frustrating news but I do appreciate your update.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

It should be available 24 hours after the IRS approves TurboTax to use the form. Currently, the IRS has not finalized the form. Here is the IRS web page to check the status of form 8606: Available Forms and Limitations. Scroll down to Form 8606.

fl13
Level 2

I am getting emails from turbotax that the 8606-s is now available. Trying to update results in the message that my software is up to date. But, then I am on the square one again, saying that the form is not approved...."
Any help?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies