Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am under 59 1/2 and would like to close Roth IRA to pay for tuition. What is the process for documenting this, and will I be exempt from taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am under 59 1/2 and would like to close Roth IRA to pay for tuition. What is the process for documenting this, and will I be exempt from taxes?

Form 8606 is used to calculate the taxable portion of the withdrawal (or document that none of it is taxable). Form 5329 is used to claim an exception (the education exception, in your case) to the 10% early withdrawal penalty, if needed. If none of the distribution is taxable, the penalty is 0 and form 5329 is not needed.

In TurboTax (TT), you enter the 1099-R,  that you will receive from the IRA custodian; then follow the interview to give TT the info to calculate the taxable portion and penalty exception.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

Form 8606 is used to calculate the taxable portion of the withdrawal (or document that none of it is taxable). Form 5329 is used to claim an exception (the education exception, in your case) to the 10% early withdrawal penalty, if needed. If none of the distribution is taxable, the penalty is 0 and form 5329 is not needed.

In TurboTax (TT), you enter the 1099-R,  that you will receive from the IRA custodian; then follow the interview to give TT the info to calculate the taxable portion and penalty exception.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies