turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my SEP IRA as a traditional IRA in 2016. How do I amend my 2016 return so I can file 2017 correctly?

I need to correct IRA filing in 2016 

I filed as a traditional IRA and I have a SEP

TurboTax automatically adds $ in 2017 for my contributions but I need them added in the right place.

Not sure how to amend for something like this....

Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

I filed my SEP IRA as a traditional IRA in 2016. How do I amend my 2016 return so I can file 2017 correctly?

For how to amend 2016, make selections for the type of software you used and follow the results (linked below). 

If you filed a traditional IRA, you can delete your contribution under: 

Deductions & Credits  >>>  I'll choose what I work on >>>  Scroll down to the  Retirement and Investments  section >>> Click  Update/Edit  next to  Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions  >>> the box should be checked for the Traditional IRA and you can  uncheck  it >>> the next screen  will ask if you want to delete your entry and you can say  yes.

To enter your SEP contributions, head into:

Business  tab and click  Continue   >>>  I'll choose what I work on >>>  Scroll down to the  Less Common Business Situations  section >>> Click  Update  next to  Self-employed Retirement >>> Next, answer  Yes  and enter your pre-tax payroll contributions under Elective Deferrals and the other categories as applicable.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4381417

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies