dansekerak

For federal pension income reported on 1099R Turbotax asks me how much of my pension the "plan administrator paid directly for health insurance." What do I enter here?

jerry2000
Alumni

If your plan administrator directly paid any insurance premiums, that will be shown in Box 5 of your 1099-R. Wait until you get your actual 1099-R before entering any information about it.

jerry2000
Alumni

dansekerak

I have my 1099R (official).  Wondering why the value I entered into Turbotax wasn't automatically entered when I was asked the question above.  Thank you!
jerry2000
Alumni

The reason is that Box 5 can contain Employee contributions /Designated Roth contributions or insurance premiums, so Turbotax wants to know whether it was insurance premiums or not. If you are not sure, call your provider and ask what the Box 5 amount is for, don't guess.
dansekerak

Great.  Makes sense now.  Thanks a lot!
dansekerak

I retired effective March 1st, 2016.  Is it possible health insurance premium payments from my salary during Jan/Feb would also be listed in Box 5 of the 1099R?  Or would those payments be reflected on my W-2?
jerry2000
Alumni

You will need to ask your employer that question.
dansekerak

Ok thanks again.