For 401(k) rollover to new 401(k) with new employer, 1099-R from previous 401(k) has "Total Distribution" checked and box 9a blank. Do I enter "100%" for Box9a in TTax?

No, enter the 1099-R exactly as it is. You will indicate the rollover in the 1099-R interview.

I assume from your description that you received a 1099-R with a distribution code of '7' and the "total distribution" box checked. If so, do the following:

In the 1099-R section in TurboTax, after you enter the 1099-R information (and after a lot of other questions) you will be asked "What did you do with the money from [name]'s [pension name]?"

You will check the first bullet: "[name] moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account)".

This will expose two new lines. You will check the first one: "[name] rolled over all this money".

Now your 1099-R distribution will not be taxed.

If, on the other hand, your distribution code was "G" which indicates a trustee-to-trustee rollover, you won;t have to do anything but enter the 1099-R exactly as is. TurboTax won't tax a trustee-to-trustee rollover.

That is not what box 9a is for ... leave it blank.

thanks for the reply!  OK, so it is a distribution code "G", and I've entered into TTx to match the 1099-R exatly, but TurboTax is telling me what I have entered for 9a is "Box 9a is not between the prescribed upper and lower limits".  The current entry is "0.00"...and on the 1099-R the box 9a is blank. what do I do?

Figured it out...the TurboTax had entered "0.00" for box 9a on the return, but it needed to be blank.  I cleared the field and it worked.  thanks!