• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbmilburn

First year to draw Social Security. I have PT job and my W-2 has deductions for Social Security and Medicare. Are these two items deductible ?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

First year to draw Social Security. I have PT job and my W-2 has deductions for Social Security and Medicare. Are these two items deductible ?

No.  If you are working (receiving earned income) then that income is subject to social security and medicare tax, even if you are nominally retired.  The tax is not deductible.

Depending on your circumstances, it may increase your future SS payments, however.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

No.  If you are working (receiving earned income) then that income is subject to social security and medicare tax, even if you are nominally retired.  The tax is not deductible.

Depending on your circumstances, it may increase your future SS payments, however.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v