turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pflsf

Why was RMD from a non-spousal inherited IRA not included on form 8606, line 7? I included this nontaxed inherited IRA in the value of all my yr. end trad. IRAs line 6

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why was RMD from a non-spousal inherited IRA not included on form 8606, line 7? I included this nontaxed inherited IRA in the value of all my yr. end trad. IRAs line 6

"I included this nontaxed inherited IRA in the value of all my yr. end trad."

You should know that inherited IRAs must be treated separately from your own traditional IRA(s), so don't do that.

And why do you think it is non-taxed.?

TurboTax does not support Form 8606 for an Inherited IRA with a basis.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pflsf

The total amount of this RMD seems to be  added to the result from line 18 , to be included on line 15b of my 1040.  Why wouldn't it be included on form 8606?  and if not, should I subtract the yearend value it from line 6 on the 8606 form?

"I included this nontaxed inherited IRA in the value of all my yr. end trad."

You should know that inherited IRAs must be treated separately from your own traditional IRA(s), so don't do that.

And why do you think it is non-taxed.?

TurboTax does not support Form 8606 for an Inherited IRA with a basis.

pflsf

I really don't know if the inherited IRA was non-taxed, but I don't have any way of finding out for sure.   thanks for your reply.

fanfare is correct - You cannot, by law, combine your personal IRA 8606 basis with the basis (if any) in a non-spouse inherited IRA.  They must be kept separate on a stand-alone 8606 that cannot be e-filed with TurboTax.  The inherited IRA 8606 must be completed manually and attached to a mailed tax return.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies