turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

canaanty

Existing rollover IRA/Backdoor Roth IRA question

I am planning to make a backdoor Roth IRA contribution for this year. I currently have a very small rollover IRA with a balance of $2300. My understanding is that I can make a $6000 contribution to this IRA, and then convert the entire balance of $8300 to a Roth IRA prior to December 31st. Thus my traditional IRA balances will be $0.

I will then pay taxes on the $2300. I believe that this is determined on Form 8606. 

Am I correct in my understanding of how to do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Assuming that you have sufficient compensation to support the traditional IRA contribution (and will not have reached age 70½ or older during the year), you own no other traditional IRAs (implied when you said that your balance in traditional IRAs at year-end would be zero) and your investments do not change in value prior to converting to Roth (implied when you said that you would convert the entire balance of $8,300), your analysis is correct.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Assuming that you have sufficient compensation to support the traditional IRA contribution (and will not have reached age 70½ or older during the year), you own no other traditional IRAs (implied when you said that your balance in traditional IRAs at year-end would be zero) and your investments do not change in value prior to converting to Roth (implied when you said that you would convert the entire balance of $8,300), your analysis is correct.

canaanty

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies