turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

janes0

Excess trad. IRA contribution in 2018=$1983. Didn't treat it as a deduction. I withdrew $2100 in January 2019. Was this reportable in 2018 or do I report it in 2019? How?

I didn't know it was excess until January 2019, which is why I didn't withdraw it in 2018.  Now the 2019 1099-R includes the portion of the withdrawals made in 2019 that was actually return of excess contribution.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Excess trad. IRA contribution in 2018=$1983. Didn't treat it as a deduction. I withdrew $2100 in January 2019. Was this reportable in 2018 or do I report it in 2019? How?

The earnings on the excess contribution made in 2018 but withdrawn in 2019 are reportable as income in the year you made the excess contribution, i.e., 2018.

Because you made the withdrawal of the excess contribution before the due date of your 2018 tax return, you will not be subject to the 6% tax on excess contributions.

As long as you did not deduct the excess withdrawal in 2018, you do not have to report the excess withdrawal amount in your income.

Click here for the section of IRS Publication 590A pertaining to excess contributions and the associated earnings.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies