turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katieA1
Returning Member

Entering a withdrawal from a Roth IRA It asks for me to enter my net regular contributions prior to 2021 that remain in my account. What does that mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Entering a withdrawal from a Roth IRA It asks for me to enter my net regular contributions prior to 2021 that remain in my account. What does that mean?

This is asking for the sum of all regular ROTH IRA  contributions that you made prior to 2021.  This may be being used to establish a basis in the account.

While Roth contributions are not reported on your tax return, it is a good idea to enter them in the IRA contribution section anyway because TurboTax will:

• track the basis of your contributions for you year-to-year. [This becomes important when you start making withdrawals--to track how much of the distribution is taxable.]
  • alert you if your MAGI exceeds the Roth contribution limit and are subject to a penalty.
  • alert you if you have insufficient earned compensation to contribute.

You do not need to include contributions to a Roth in your return

While Roth contributions are not reported on your tax return, it is a good idea to enter them in the IRA contribution section anyway because TurboTax will:

• track the basis of your contributions for you year-to-year. [This becomes important when you start making withdrawals--to track how much of the distribution is taxable.]alert you if your MAGI exceeds the Roth contribution limit and are subject to a penalty.
  • alert you if you have insufficient earned compensation to contribute.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
katieA1
Returning Member

So the total amount of contributions from when I first opened the account to the end of 2020? 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes. You are correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies