turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slvmahe

E-file is asking to correct my spouses social security number. But it is entered correctly. How do I go about this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

E-file is asking to correct my spouses social security number. But it is entered correctly. How do I go about this?

Before tax season, the IRS gets a database from the Social Security Administration (SSA) of taxpayer names and social security numbers. 

Sometimes, what you think is your last name isn't what the SSA thinks is your last name. This often happens with Hispanic taxpayers who have first name/father's last name/mother's last name as their formal name, but use their father's last name as their last name in English. The SSA is likely to consider the mother's last name as the last name, since it is, well, last.

Call the SSA and confirm that your spouse's name and SSN are correct. Consider that your spouse's name might need to be re-arranged to conform with the SSA's understanding of the name. If so, you can re-efile as if for the first time.

And if all else fails, you can print and mail your return, because this bypasses the e-file checking of name and SSN. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies