Solved: Does having a previous Roth IRA count towards the 5 year holding period?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does having a previous Roth IRA count towards the 5 year holding period?

Had a Roth IRA from 2005 through 2009 that I took a full distribution from and closed.  Was not taxed/penalized because I held it for 5 years & it had lost money.  The IRS tried to say I owed taxes, but a tax advocate helped me prove otherwise.  Opened a new Roth in 10/2013 and had contributed $13,000 through 2017.  I turned 59 1/2 in 08/2017.  Took a distribution of $15,300 in 11/2017.  This wasn't a full distribution and the account is still open.  My 1099-R box 7 has a code of T. TurboTax says I don't owe taxes even though I've only had the current Roth for 4 years, if I calculated it right, and I took some earnings.  Is that because of the previous Roth I had?  If I answer the question of whether I had a Roth before 2013 as no, my refund goes way down, so I assume that's the case.  If so, does it matter that it was closed?  Want to make sure this is right so I don't have to fight the IRS again.  Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Having made a Roth IRA contribution in 2005 means that you have satisfied the 5-year rule to make distributions after age 59½ be qualified distributions, entirely tax free, despite having a zero Roth IRA balance in the interim.  In TurboTax, click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and in the questions that follow indicate that you had a Roth IRA prior to 2013.

Section 408A(d)(2) defines a qualified distribution.  (Specifically see 408(d)(2)(B):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/408A#d_2

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

Having made a Roth IRA contribution in 2005 means that you have satisfied the 5-year rule to make distributions after age 59½ be qualified distributions, entirely tax free, despite having a zero Roth IRA balance in the interim.  In TurboTax, click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and in the questions that follow indicate that you had a Roth IRA prior to 2013.

Section 408A(d)(2) defines a qualified distribution.  (Specifically see 408(d)(2)(B):

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/408A#d_2

View solution in original post

Thanks for your help, dmertz!
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings