turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does form 1099-R for Military Retirement from my ex husband belong in the first box 1099-R income or the second box. It gives me a refund of $600.

*I just don't know where to post this.  I've had this form 1099-R for years.
If I enter it in the first box, that is where it gives me the extra refund.  If I enter it in the second box, then the $600 goes away.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Does form 1099-R for Military Retirement from my ex husband belong in the first box 1099-R income or the second box. It gives me a refund of $600.

You will have to enter your 1099-R exactly as it is shown on the form. For example if it shows an amount in box 1 then you enter it in box 1 in TurboTax.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” and enter your 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JLDeking21
Returning Member

When I enter the amount of my 1099 R it doubles the amount from $ 4,000 to $9,000. Why does it double my amount?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Your DFAS should show the same amount in box 2a as is in box 1. Neither box in 2b should be   marked.

The amount of Military retirement from DFAS reported on Form 1099-R is fully taxable.

You will need to review the input to be sure everything was input correctly to determine why it is doubling your amount. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies