turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amy4

Do we owe taxes on a portion of our social security benefits,although my husband is 68 and I turned 66 in 2018? I no longer work, and my husband is self employed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Do we owe taxes on a portion of our social security benefits,although my husband is 68 and I turned 66 in 2018? I no longer work, and my husband is self employed?

You may owe taxes on part of your social security income, even though you and your husband are both past 65 -- it depends on how much other income you have.

When social security is your only income, it won't be taxable to you. 

But... when you receive income other than social security, part of your social security income might be taxable.  Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Is my Social Security income taxable?" below for a more complete explanation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299920

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You may owe taxes on part of your social security income, even though you and your husband are both past 65 -- it depends on how much other income you have.

When social security is your only income, it won't be taxable to you. 

But... when you receive income other than social security, part of your social security income might be taxable.  Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Is my Social Security income taxable?" below for a more complete explanation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299920

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies