Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still need to input a 1099R if I didn't cash the distribution check? Also, the check has expired and it appears there are no funds left in her retirement account.

I figured we could just leave the money in that retirement account with her former employer and they even say with "some types of accounts" this is possible, but they cut her a distribution check which we didn't cash. Is there anyway to ensure we can still get this money? Since we didn't get the money, do I still need to input the 1099R into turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do I still need to input a 1099R if I didn't cash the distribution check? Also, the check has expired and it appears there are no funds left in her retirement account.

Yes you need to enter the 1099R or the IRS will say you missed it.  Did they take out withholding on it?  Then you want to get credit for that.  Call the plan and see if you can get a corrected 1099R or another check or what you can do about it.

Of course you do, otherwise you will get a letter from the iRS in a year or so for back tax plus interest and penalties.   Whether you cashed the check or not is immaterial once you had constructive receipt of it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I talked to an agent with the retirement plan and they are cutting a new check. Since this check will now be cashed in 2020, do I need to have an updated W-2 (removing the distribution for tax year 2019 and now applying it to 2020 since we will cash the check this year)? If that W-2 is corrected for the employer of that retirement plan without the distribution, would I then need to receive a 1099-R for the 2020 Tax Year instead? Or should I just cash the check this year and treat it like I received it last year and do my 2019 taxes as if this all happened last year? Thank you for your previous response.

I may have just asked a question in the above response that was pertinent to what you stated. I am being cut a new check which I'll cash this year now. So do I still do my 2019 taxes as if I cashed that check last year? It sounds like the check isn't as important as when the original check was sent out and the IRS notified. Is that correct?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies