turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still have to file a 1099-c for cancelled credit card dept if the company sent it to a collection agency and I paid it?

I received a 1099-c for cancelled debt on a credit card that was sent to a collection agency and I paid it.  Why am I still getting this form and do I have to include it with my taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Do I still have to file a 1099-c for cancelled credit card dept if the company sent it to a collection agency and I paid it?

Yes, report  the 1099-C on your tax return - if you received a Form 1099-C for cancelled debt, then the IRS also received it and will be expecting you to report it on your tax return.

Since you paid the debt, you will have to enter an adjustment to remove the cancelled debt income from your taxable income.

To enter the adjustment:  

• Go to Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income and Other reportable income. Enter "Lawsuit settlement" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to lawsuit settlement" "to get to this screen ("Lawsuit settlement" is just an effective search term to get to this interview screen)

• Continue to the screen "Other Taxable Income". Enter the description as "Debt Repayment" and the amount as a negative number. Entering "-$ XXXX" here will offset the cancelled debt amount included on the Form 1099-C. These are NOT wages.  

A corresponding negative amount will be entered, and line 8 of Schedule 1,  will be zero.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies