turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I put the total amount of my rmd for 2018 on my 2018 tax return if I only received half in 2018 and the other half in 2019?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I put the total amount of my rmd for 2018 on my 2018 tax return if I only received half in 2018 and the other half in 2019?

You only show the RMD that you actually withdrew in 2018, If you withdrew it on 12/31 but did not receive it until early Jan. then it is considered paid in 2018. However if you did not withdraw it until 2019, then it would go on your 2019 taxes. and you will still need to take your full RMD for 2019. However, if this is the case then you would  be liable for a penalty for not having taken the full amount of your RMD in 2018, unless you can show good reason for not have taken the full amount in 2018. Turbotax can help you with this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You only show the RMD that you actually withdrew in 2018, If you withdrew it on 12/31 but did not receive it until early Jan. then it is considered paid in 2018. However if you did not withdraw it until 2019, then it would go on your 2019 taxes. and you will still need to take your full RMD for 2019. However, if this is the case then you would  be liable for a penalty for not having taken the full amount of your RMD in 2018, unless you can show good reason for not have taken the full amount in 2018. Turbotax can help you with this.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies