Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

borsa2
Returning Member

Do I owe taxes on money received from the sale of my living stepmom's house that I never lived in and for which I received a substitute 1099-S?

I was not aware of the sell until I was notified to come to the closing to get my 25% share of the proceeds along with my stepsister. That is when I learned that my name was on a Warranty Deed with Vendor's Lien "as inherited property."  Also, 25% of the closing costs were deducted from the proceeds that I received. It is my understanding that my father did not leave a will when he died in 1999.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

Do I owe taxes on money received from the sale of my living stepmom's house that I never lived in and for which I received a substitute 1099-S?

Yes, there will be some tax due from the sale of this property. 

The amount of tax depends on whether you inherited the property when your father died in 1999, or whether the home was given to you by your stepmother. 

If the home was inherited when your father died in 1999, your basis will be 25% of the 1999 fair market value of the home. 

If the home was given to you by your stepmother, there are two possible results. In this case the home was inherited by your stepmother and your basis will be 25% of her basis. If she lives in a community property state, her basis will be the fair market value on the date of your fathers death in 1999. If she doesn't live in a community property state, the basis will be half of the fair market value of the home when your step father died and then half of the purchase price of the home (if they purchased the home while they were married).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

Yes, there will be some tax due from the sale of this property. 

The amount of tax depends on whether you inherited the property when your father died in 1999, or whether the home was given to you by your stepmother. 

If the home was inherited when your father died in 1999, your basis will be 25% of the 1999 fair market value of the home. 

If the home was given to you by your stepmother, there are two possible results. In this case the home was inherited by your stepmother and your basis will be 25% of her basis. If she lives in a community property state, her basis will be the fair market value on the date of your fathers death in 1999. If she doesn't live in a community property state, the basis will be half of the fair market value of the home when your step father died and then half of the purchase price of the home (if they purchased the home while they were married).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies