educated8

Do I need to report contributions received from my soon-to-be-ex-husband before our divorce is finalized?

Any contributions that were given to me by my husband were not court-ordered or signed by a judge, he gave them voluntarily. The total amount that he has given me is roughly $10,000, all of which I have had to spend on my attorney fees.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If it was not considered alimony pursuant to a divorce decree then you don't report it as income. 

educated8

Okay, thank you!
Carl

Generally when a couple is divorcing, the division of property between them, including money, is not something that is reportable on any tax return. Even if the division is "unfair" or not 50/50, it's still not reportable.
Something like alimony is not a division of assets pursuant to the final decree. Alimony is something that is usually pursuant "because" of the final decree.
educated8

Thank you!