turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recharacterized $2,500 from a roth to a traditional IRA in 2018. I reported a non-deductable traditional IRA amount of $5,500 with turbo tax. What are my next steps?

I also added $3,000 to that traditional IRA that is non-deductable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recharacterized $2,500 from a roth to a traditional IRA in 2018. I reported a non-deductable traditional IRA amount of $5,500 with turbo tax. What are my next steps?

Glad to help.

Solved in comments.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

There should be no "next steps".  
What else do you think you need to do?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Do I need to fill out a 8606 or 1040x?  I would be happy to not do any more next steps, but wanted to make sure

You said you "reported" it as non-deductible - if so, that would automatically create a 8606.

The Roth contribution should be entered in the IRA contributions section and say that you switched to a Traditions IRA.  If it is non-deductible then a 8606 will be created.

If a 8606 is not part of your tax return then it was not reported as a non-deductible contribution.  If it was deducted instead, it would be on the 1040 schedule 1 line 32.

Yes I reported $5,500 of a non-deductable traditional IRA contribution, but after filing, I accidentally put $2,500 into a roth IRA and then re-characterized the same amount to the traditional IRA.  I wanted to make sure I don't need to file more papers

That would be a problem.

Your *total* 2018 IRA contributions (Traditional plus Roth) cannot exceed $5,500 ($6,500 if over age 50).

If your total contributions were $8,000, then you have an excess of $2,500 if under age 50, that must be removed before April 15, 2019 to avoid a penalty.   That should be done as a "return of contribution" and not a normal distributions to that the IRA custodian also returns any earnings attributed to the excess and codes the 2019 1099-R correctly.

No my contribution total was $5,500.  However, I had to re-characterize $2,500 of it back to a traditional IRA

I am confused.  You said: "...I reported $5,500 of a non-deductable traditional IRA contribution, but after filing, I accidentally put $2,500 into a roth IRA..."

That totals $5,500 + $2,500 = $8,000.   

Do you mean that you actually only contributed $3,000 to the Traditional IRA and then $2,500 to the Roth subsequently recharactorized to the Traditional RA?

Yes, exactly. I did 3k to the traditional IRA and 2.5k that was recharacterized

Then as long as the total $5,500 was reported as non deductible on the 8606 you are fine.

Does the 2018 8606 have the $5,500 on line 1?

Yes. Thank you

Glad to help.

Solved in comments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies