Solved: Do I leave my W2 form blank if I'm retired?

Do I leave my W2 form blank if I'm retired?

Since you are retired, & have no W2 income, then you should delete the W-2.  Do not leave it blank, it will cause an error on your return.

How do I delete a W-2?

It's easy to remove a W-2.

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for W-2 using the search in the upper right corner and then click the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. This brings you to the Here's your W-2 info screen. Click the trash can icon next to the unwanted W-2 and then answer Yes on the following screen.

Yes, if you didn't work and didn't get a W-2 then you do not need to enter anything in the W-2 section.

If you received retirement distribution on a 1099-R you will have to enter it here:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”

If you receive Social Security benefit SSA-1099 then enter them here:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “Social security income”
  3. Click on “Jump to Social security income”
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did you receive Social Security benefits?" and click “Continue” 

Please see Is my Social Security income taxable?  and Do I need to file a federal return this year? for additional information.

How do I delete a W-2?

It's easy to remove a W-2.

1. Open or continue your return.

I have this problem but also receiving an error because my w2 is showing zero value (line 9 of total income) but retired and made sure it was deleted. Keep picking I don't have a w2 but can't get past it. PLEASE HELP I've never had an issue like this with TurboTax

@vampirefish If you attempted to delete the W-2 (steps above provided by bluedeb) and the issue still persists, try clearing your cache and cookies or using another browser altogether.

Thanks but this won't work as I'm using the desktop version. I have started a new post here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/re-error-retired-with-no-w2/01/1961213#M1300...