turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericstiki

Do I have to pay taxes on money that was inherited, my wife received an IRA in the amount of $24,000 from her father, does she have to pay taxes on this ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I have to pay taxes on money that was inherited, my wife received an IRA in the amount of $24,000 from her father, does she have to pay taxes on this ?

Assuming that it is a Traditional IRA, yes, it is taxable as ordinary income unless there was some after-tax "basis" in the IRA.  You would need the fathers past tax returns to see if he ever filed a 8606 form if he took a distribution or made a non-deductible contribution.

You should receive a 1099-R with a code 4 in box 7 for an inherited Traditional  IRA. 

(If a Roth IRA 1099-R with a code T in box 7 then it would not be taxable since Roth's are after-tax money)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

was the IRA cashed in?  Was it a ROTH or other type of IRA?

TomD8
Level 15

Your wife has several options as to what to do with her inherited IRA.  These are well-described in this web page from Charles Schwab (be sure you click on the "non-spouse" options):  https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/investing/retirement_and_planning/understanding_iras/inherited_...

If she's not sure what to do, I strongly suggest she talk to the bank or brokerage that held her father's IRA.  I'm sure they will help her.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies