turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsudlik

Do I have to pay tax on wife's IRA that passed to me on her death and which I then transferred to her children per her will?

When my wife died Fidelity transferred her IRA into my name and pursuant to her will I transferred the funds equally to her children as stated in her will. Fidelity lists the amount on the 1099-R as a taxable distribution to me and it is listed as taxable to me even though I never saw any money. Do I pay taxes on the distribution even though I was following her will?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Do I have to pay tax on wife's IRA that passed to me on her death and which I then transferred to her children per her will?

If you were the designated beneficiary of your wife's IRA, yes, this is taxable income to you and must be reported on your tax return.  The will has no bearing on this because this is not part of the probate estate.

Whatever you gave to her children are gifts from you to her children and have nothing to due with your wife's estate.  You must file a 2018 Form 709 Gift Tax return if your gifts to any one person in 2018 exceeded $15,000.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If you were the designated beneficiary of your wife's IRA, yes, this is taxable income to you and must be reported on your tax return.  The will has no bearing on this because this is not part of the probate estate.

Whatever you gave to her children are gifts from you to her children and have nothing to due with your wife's estate.  You must file a 2018 Form 709 Gift Tax return if your gifts to any one person in 2018 exceeded $15,000.

if a large amount is involved you may have to claw back some of that money from your kids to pay the income tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies