turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to pay a penalty because I didn't file my taxes on time. I'm working as a teacher in Korea

I'm I in trouble for not filling taxes for 2016 on time? I started work in korea as a teacher around october of 2016 and made less than 6,000 dollars. Or should I just wait to file my 2016 taxes when I file my 2017 taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay a penalty because I didn't file my taxes on time. I'm working as a teacher in Korea

There is a foreign earned income exclusion of $101,300 for tax year 2016. 

However, you only have a filing requirement for 2016 if your gross income from all sources is at least $10,350 and you are filing as Single and not a dependent on someone else's tax return.  

Review IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf#page=3

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Is the income received in Korea the only income you will be reporting on your 2016 tax return, either foreign or US sources?

Yes. Also, I was away from the united states for more than 330 days in the year of 2016 if that helps.

There is a foreign earned income exclusion of $101,300 for tax year 2016. 

However, you only have a filing requirement for 2016 if your gross income from all sources is at least $10,350 and you are filing as Single and not a dependent on someone else's tax return.  

Review IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf#page=3

DoninGa, thank you for the answer. I read page 3, but want to double check. So since I made less than $10,350 in 2016, and I wasn't self employed, I don't have to file taxes for 2016? In other words, I can skip filing 2016 taxes?

Yes

DoninGa, thank you. You saved a lot of my time for filing 2016 taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies