otel

Do I have to input a $51 1099R that I received from my mothers state of California Retirement Account when she passed away?

my mom passed away. she had some money left in her retirement account (my dads actually that she had been collecting since his death). She was a ward of the state. they send her children $51 each from her retirement account and I received a 1099R. Do I have to report that?

Will they think I have taken an early distribution from my own retirement account?

The 1099R is in my name. I also received one in HER name ("care of" me)...

ScruffyCurmudgeon

Key questions are what are the codes in the Box 7 for each 1099-R - one in your name, and one in your late mother's name
Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time
otel

Box 7 contains the number 7 on both of the 1099Rs.
ScruffyCurmudgeon

@otel

From what you have written, It sounds that the situation is as follows - again based on what you have said:

• Your father died and left your mother as primary beneficiary of the CALPERS pension account.
  • Your mother received that pension plan through inheritance and it sounds like the plan provided for her to be a secondary beneficiary and therefore the account in her own name
  • She is in long-term care through Medi-Cal and the state (MediCal Medicaid) has the right to obtain (attach) the monthly distribution from Calpers less a  monthly allowance for an individual in long-term care for personal needs.
  • You and your sibling(s) receive any unattached funds from the pension distribution after Calpers deduction for L/T Care.
  • Thus, you must report the pension distribution proceeds from Form 1099-R in the TurboTax interview for pensions.
  • The distribution is deemed a "Normal Distribution" and is not subject to Early Distribution penalty.
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
otel

Thanks for such a clear and concise answer Scruffy! Well done 🙂  Blessings to you.
ScruffyCurmudgeon

Glad it was of help  cionsider ?? Recommending?  the answer?
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3