turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gtohhhh

Do I enter the gross distribution amount or zero on my alabama return? I am a retired federal employee and do not know?

As a retired federal employee in Alabama, my retirement income is not taxed by the state. On the state return, what do I enter as income? I put in the amount on my 1099R, and TurboTax says I owe a substantial amount. Do I enter my income as zero or what?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

Do I enter the gross distribution amount or zero on my alabama return? I am a retired federal employee and do not know?

If the retired federal employee income is all you have to report in AL, then you do not need to do a return at all.  If you have other income and must do a return then you do not enter the retired income.  I have attached a link to the Alabama Department of Revenue guidance on this.  See page 7.  

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/08f40bk.pdf

If your other income is above the amount below for your filing status you need to file:

Full year residents whose filing status is “Single” must file if gross income for the year is at least $4,000. Full year residents whose filing status is “Married Filing Separate Return” must file if gross income for the year is at least $5,250.  Full year residents whose filing status is Head of Family” must file if gross income for the year is at least $7,700.  Those whose filing status is “Married Filing Joint Return” and whose gross income for the year is at least $10,500 must file an Alabama income tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieH1

Are you filing a joint return or separately?
gtohhhh

Separate, I am divorced. Thank you for the quick reply!
JulieH1

If the retired federal employee income is all you have to report in AL, then you do not need to do a return at all.  If you have other income and must do a return then you do not enter the retired income.  I have attached a link to the Alabama Department of Revenue guidance on this.  See page 7.  

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/08f40bk.pdf

If your other income is above the amount below for your filing status you need to file:

Full year residents whose filing status is “Single” must file if gross income for the year is at least $4,000. Full year residents whose filing status is “Married Filing Separate Return” must file if gross income for the year is at least $5,250.  Full year residents whose filing status is Head of Family” must file if gross income for the year is at least $7,700.  Those whose filing status is “Married Filing Joint Return” and whose gross income for the year is at least $10,500 must file an Alabama income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies