turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RJnm

Do I allocate $0 of pension income as "earned" for part-year New Mexico income tax, if pension originates from NM employment but first payment received after leaving NM?

If my pension is from my previous New Mexico employer, are all future recurring pension payments from New Mexico considered "earned in New Mexico" (Turbo tax wording) despite receiving that income while a resident of Washington?  I retired from New Mexico employment 1/1/2016 and departed from NM on 1/7/2016 to move permanently to WA.  Received first pension payment from former NM employer on 1/29/2016.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Do I allocate $0 of pension income as "earned" for part-year New Mexico income tax, if pension originates from NM employment but first payment received after leaving NM?

Your pension payments are "earned" in the state where you live when you receive the payment, not in the state where you worked.  In your case, none of your pension money is allocated to New Mexico

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

Your pension payments are "earned" in the state where you live when you receive the payment, not in the state where you worked.  In your case, none of your pension money is allocated to New Mexico

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies