turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rrieger

Do funds put in a brand new traditional IRA count as a "Contributions" if they came from an inservice rollover of a 401k? Or does my 1099-R form account for these funds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Do funds put in a brand new traditional IRA count as a "Contributions" if they came from an inservice rollover of a 401k? Or does my 1099-R form account for these funds?

No, a rollover is not a new contribution.  Don't enter under Deductions & Credits anything having to do this this distribution and rollover from the 401(k) to the IRA.  Just enter the Form 1099-R and answer the follow-up questions.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

No, rollovers from a 401K to a new IRA do not count as a contribution on your tax return.  The 1099-R that you receive for the rollover should indicated that the monies used to fund the new IRA were a rollover.  That is indicated on your 1099-R with a code G in box 7.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies